IIT JAM TEST PATTERN
- The Jam 2017 examination for all test papers will be carried out as ONLINE COMPUTER BASED TEST (CBT) where the candidates will be shown the questions in a random sequence on a computer screen. The duration of the examination will be 3 hours. The medium of the test papers will be English only. There will be total 60 question carrying 100 marks. The entire paper will be divided into 3 sections A, B and C. All sections are compulsory.
Question in each section are of different types as given below :
- Section – A contains a total of 30 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) carrying one or two marks each. Each MCQ type question has four choices out of which only one choice is the correct answer. Candidate can mark the answer by clicking the choice.
- Section – B contains a total 10 Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) carrying two marks each. Each MSQ type question is similar to MCQ but with a difference that there may be one or than one choice(s) that are correct out of the four given choices. The candidate get full credit if he/she selects all the correct answers only and no wrong answers. Candidate can mark the answers by clicking the choices.
- Section – C cantains a total of 20 Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions carrying one or two marks each. For these NAT type questions, the answer is a signed real number which needs to be entered using the virtual keyboard on the monitor. No choices will be shown for these types of questions. Candidates have to enter the answer by using a virtual numeric keypad.
- In all sections, questions not attempted will result in zero mark. In Section – A (MCQ), wrong answer will result in negative marks. For all mark questions, 1/3 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer. For all 2 marks questions, 2/3 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer. In Section – B (MSQ) there is no negative and no partial marking provisions. There is no negative marking in Section – C (NAT) as well.
- An-on – screen virtual scientific calculator will be available for the candidates to do the calculations. Physical calculators, charts, graph sheets, tables, cellular phones or any other electronic gadgets are NOT allowed in the examination hall.
- A scribble pad will be provided for rough work and this has to be returned back at the end of examination.
- The candidates are required to select the answer for MCQ & MSQ type questions, and to enter the answer for NAT questions using only a mouse on a virtual keypad (The keyboard of the computer will be disabled). At the end of the 3 hours window, the computer will automatically will close the screen from further actions.
- Use of unfair means by a candidate in Jam 2017, whether detected at the time of examination, or at any stage, will lead to cancellation of his/her candidature as well as disqualification of the candidate from appearing in Jam in future.
- The candidates are advised to visit the Jam 2017 website for more details on the patterns of questions for Jam 2017, including examples of the questions. Candidate will also be able to take a mock examination through a ‘MOCK TEST’ link that will be made available on the website closer to the examination dates.